In order to send faxes between two PCs using virtual modems you must install and set up Virtual Modem PRO and any fax application on both computers. One computer should be configured as a client (the one which will initiate connection, i.e. dial up to remote host and send fax) and the other one as a server (it will wait for incoming call and receive faxes). Each side can be set as a client or server depending on who is going to initiate the call.
Let’s assume that you have installed Virtual Modem PRO into 2 computers that are connected via Internet/WAN/LAN and one has IP address equal to 192.168.0.1 and TCP port set to 5410 in Virtual Modem PRO while the second PC has the following settings IP = 192.168.0.2 and TCP port = 5402 respectively. We are going to configure the host with IP address 192.168.0.1 as a server and computer
with IP address 192.168.0.2 as a client. Please, note that mentioned IPs are taken solely for this example. You must provide actual static IP addresses that are assigned to your PCs. If not sure, please, consult your Internet provider or system administrator. As the computer fax management application we recommend using VentaFax, available at http://www.ventafax.com/. As of now, the latest version of VentaFax is 5.7. The final configuration is shown on the image below.
Setting up Virtual Modem PRO at the PC which is going to send faxes
- Select Add/Remove Modems tab in Configuration Panel.
- Select the serial communication port which virtual modem will be assigned to from “Modem serial port” combo-box. Let’s select COM10 for example. Please, note that you will not be able to select port which is already in use.
- Specify TCP port which will be used to accept incoming connections on. You may type any number from 1 to 65535, however, make sure that it doesn’t interfere with other network services (DNS, Mail, HTTP, SMB, etc.). Let’s select TCP port equal to 5401.
- Click “Add modem” button.
- On successful virtual modem creation, you will see the confirmation message:
Once the virtual modem is successfully added, it may accept incoming calls.
To be able to initiate the call, you must configure remote host virtual modem settings (i.e. configure it as a client).
Setting up Virtual Modem PRO at the PC which is going to receive faxes
- Select Add/Remove Modems tab in Configuration Panel area.
- Select the serial communication port which virtual modem will be assigned to from “Modem serial port” combo-box. Let’s select COM11 for example. Please, note that you will not be able to select port which is already in use.
- Specify TCP port which will be used to accept incoming connections on (in case you want to accept faxes). You may type any number from 1 to 65535, however, make sure that it doesn’t interfere with other network services (DNS, Mail, HTTP, SMB, etc.). Let’s select TCP port equal to 5402.
- Click “Add modem” button.The next part is to configure VentaFax on both ends of communication process.
Configuration settings are, essentially, the same. The only difference is setting up modem COM ports. Let’s have a deeper look at the configuration procedure:Setting up VentaFax
- Launch VentaFax using “Start” menu (“Start” -> “Venta Fax & Voice 5.7” -> “Venta Fax & Voice 5.7”).
- On the first launch you will be automatically asked to specify modem which will be used to send faxes. If this window doesn’t appear, you may invoke it manually by selecting “View” -> “Program Settings” option from the main menu and choosing “Interact with Modem” option from the left tree. In “Modem – interacting with modems” dialog window enable “via port” radio-button option and select COM10 from the combo-box.
- In “Initialize at” pane of the same dialog window enable “set manually” option and select “57600” baudrate setting from combo-box to the right.
- Click “Apply” and “OK” buttons to finish configuration.
- Similarly configure VentaFax at the second PC but select COM11 which is assigned for modem.
- On the side that is going to accept faxes click “Auto” button to enable Answering Machine.
- On the side that is going to send faxes select “File” -> “Send Message” from the main menu or press “Alt” + “F5” to invoke “Message Transmission” dialog.
- In “Message Transmission” dialog specify the full path to the file you want to transmit in “File” textfield. In order to specify existing file you may invoke “Open file” dialog by clicking button and navigate to required file on your hard disk.
- Specify “192.168.0.2:5402” as a recipient’s phone number
- Click “Send with dialing the number” button to initiate the call.
- The remote side should automatically receive fax (make sure that “Auto” button is enabled) and save the fax into a file. To access the received file expand “Log Book” option at the left panel and double-click “General” option. Alternatively, you may select “Application” -> “Log Book” -> “General” option from the main menu.