It is very easy to install Serial to Ethernet Connector, and the installation process won’t take you long.
- Serial to Ethernet Connector installation on Linux may look slightly different depending on the graphical environment.
- The installation process described below concerns installation of the program under user account. You can install Serial to Ethernet Connector under root account as well. In this case you should uncheck “Use password” box (step 10 of this section).
- To install and use Serial to Ethernet Connector on Linux, GNU C Library (glibc) of version not less than 2.8 should be present in your system.
Follow these instructions to install Serial to Ethernet Connector:
- Download the archive of the latest version of Serial to Ethernet Connector from our web site.
- Extract all the files from the archive using your archiver:
- Launch the installer script install: Note: If you are trying to install Serial to Ethernet Connector while it is already present in your system, you will be offered first to uninstall the previous installation of Serial to Ethernet Connector. After that, just run the installer once again.
- Study the License agreement carefully. If you agree with all license terms and conditions, check “I agree” box. Then click “Next” button to continue:
- In order to install and run Serial to Ethernet Connector, a number of external programs should be present. If some of them are not found automatically, you will be offered to install them manually:
- Once all the required external programs are present, click “Next” button:
- You can change the installation path and choose where to create links to executable files, though it is highly recommended not to change the default directories. Once the installation options are selected, click “Next” button to continue:
- Choose the way to control the daemon – either using System V (or other compatible systems) daemon control style or manually, and click “Next” button to continue:
- Users, added to evesec group, will have the rights to fully manage Serial to Ethernet Connector using DBus. The user, who launched the installer, is added to evesec group automatically.Note: If you are installing Serial to Ethernet Connector under root account, root is added to evesec group automatically. You might want to add another user to evesec group, as root has the rights to fully manage Serial to Ethernet Connector by default.
- In order to install Serial to Ethernet Connector you should give administrator rights to the installer. You must have “sudo” program installed on your computer. The user, who launched the installer, must be authorized to use “sudo”. Confirm that you have rights to run the program with root privileges by entering the password. If you have “NOPASSWD” attribute in /etc/sudoers file, uncheck “Use password” box.Warning: using NOPASSWD is potentially dangerous, as any command can be run as root.
Finally, click “Install” button to start the installation process:
- You will see progress bars showing the installation process. If installation is successful, you will see “Success” status. If an error occurred during the installation process, the status will be “Error”. If you entered the wrong password, you’ll see “Authentication failed” status.
If an error occurred during the installation process, you can always save the log and look through it to see what the problem was.
- Click “Finish” button when the installation process is over:
- The daemon will be launched automatically. You can always verify whether the daemon is running in your system by executing the followin command in Terminal:
ps -e | grep evesecd.bin | grep -v grep