Serial to Ethernet Connector is an advanced software-based solution that allows you to share more than 255 serial port devices over network easily turning your computer into low-cost terminal server. Thus, any serial port device connected to your COM port could be accessed from anywhere in the world (via Internet or LAN) as if it is attached directly to the remote PC.
When the attached serial port device sends communication data it is actually transmitted over TCP/IP network and back from the network to your serial device.
Serial to Ethernet Connector provides the ability to create several connection types for three main purposes:
- Share serial port for incoming connections (Server)
Server connection will be waiting for incoming client connections and actually will share local real or virtual serial port into network. Server connection provides an ability to connect many clients simultaneously and each connected client is able to transmit input/output serial data to local real or virtual serial port. Client can be called whatever application that can initialize outgoing connection to TCP/IP server (SEC, Telnet, etc).
- Connect serial port to remote host (Client)
Creating client connection will initiate local real or virtual serial port data redirection to the remote server using TCP/IP protocol. Client connection does not require SEC presence at the remote side. All that you have to do is specify remote server’s IP address (or network name) and TCP port to connect to. Once connection is established, all data sent from remote serial port device, attached to the server, will be genuinely delivered to local serial port where it can be further processed.
- Share serial port using UDP
You can redirect input/output data from local real or virtual serial port using UDP/IP underlay protocol. This type of connection does not require SEC presence at the remote side as well. Besides, you are able to broadcast all serial data to your local network.
Starting from version 4.0 Serial to Ethernet Connector enables you to select data transmission protocol, which will be used for connection: RAW data transmission algorithm or Telnet (RFC 2217) protocol.
To get more information about these connections’ differences, please, consult Usage scenario page.
How exactly Serial to Ethernet Connector works?
Serial to Ethernet Connector uses unique Eltima virtual ports technology which fully emulates real serial ports and duplicates all their functionality. Windows OS treats our virtual serial ports in the same way as real ones therefore you are no longer limited to just 2 or less real ports per system and may create COM port connections without occupying any real serial ports.
In case you are setting up the “client” connection you should specify IP address and port number to access to, when you are establishing the terminal servers you will need to specify TCP/COM options and port number to listen to.
- Share your serial ports and devices with others over TCP/IP network
- Both TCP/IP and UDP/IP protocols are supported
- Manage port signal lines states in connections
- Verify connection’s integrity by using “send command to keep connection alive” feature
- Set pauses after which all received data is sent to remote end when using UDP as underlay protocol
- Easily connect to remote computer using TCP/IP Telnet protocol, with the RFC 2217 Telnet extensions for COM Port Control
- Connect to several remote computers simultaneously NEW!
- Share more than 255 serial ports simultaneously for remote connections
- Serial port names are not restricted to COMxx only and may have virtually any name
- Ability to send data of certain size and on receiving the specified char in UDP connection type NEW!
- High speed data exchange from/to virtual serial port (up to 256 kbits)
- Virtual serial ports work like real physical ports
- Ability to enable baudrate emulation for virtual ports NEW!
- Re-naming full port names in Device Manager NEW!
- Automatically restore connection within a customizable timeout on connection brakes
- Universal function Keep Connection Alive for Telnet and Raw protocols NEW!
- Small packet transmission speed can be increased by disabling Nagle algorithm
- Dynamically change COM port parameters without necessity to reopen or re-create it
- Ports could be automatically configured every time you boot your PC
- Map your real serial port to any other virtual or real port
- Customize advanced connection settings when you switch to the new Advanced mode
- Easily track all program’s activity in the new “Activity log”
- Secure your data transmission over network by authorization system and traffic encryption
- Connection speed in serial port pairs is much more reliable and faster than in physical links
- Ability to create your own libraries for authorization and encryption (OEM version only)
- User-friendly and convenient program interface
- Fully compatible with Windows NT4/2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/64-bit platforms
- Fully compatible with HyperThreaded and multi-processor systems
- Works under virtual machine
- Single license allows you to install this application on two computers to provide client-server architecture
In general, Serial to Ethernet Connector is a powerful tool for both business/industry and individuals, because millions of legacy serial devices without built-in network capabilities are in wide common use today.
Serial to Ethernet Connector can be used by:
- Corporations, because attached serial port devices from one office can be easily accessed from another office
- Individuals, for sharing serial port devices with others and easily accessing them over network
- Enterprises, for industrial automation purposes
- IT integrators, for reducing cost of the whole project
- Small Office Home Office (SOHO), for saving money because there is no need to buy additional devices
- Educational organizations, in cases when some students or employees need to use the same specific equipment
Eltima Software offers a 14-day try-before-you-buy demo license to evaluate Serial to Ethernet Connector and make your mind.
Platforms “Serial to Ethernet Connector” is compatible with:
- Windows NT 4.x
- Windows 2000
- Windows 2003
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows 7
- All Windows 64-bit platforms